New specialty retail organization Brixy announces membership criteria
Jane Kitchen -- Kids Today, November 27, 2012
Brixy, the new trade association for independently owned stores in the juvenile industry, has formally announced its membership criteria and timeline for accepting applications in anticipation of its January 2, 2013 official launch.
"Our focus is on helping juvenile brick and mortar stores to grow and thrive," explained Executive Director Jill Cartwright as she outlined the membership criteria.
To join Brixy, a juvenile store must:
• Have owners who are actively involved in the day to day operations of the store
• Be privately held (as opposed to publicly traded)
• Have a legitimate brick and mortar store (more than just a warehouse) in a retail area with a bona fide retail staff, cash wrap, exterior retail signage, etc.
• Conduct business online solely under the same name as their brick and mortar store
• Have at least 75% of its square footage dedicated to assortment from at least two of the following categories: furniture, bedding, gear, toys & gifts
• Have at least 90% of its assortment be new goods (as opposed to used goods)
• Generate at least 70% of its annual revenues through its brick and mortar storefront
Any store that was a member in good standing of Baby News, BFPA, NINFRA or USA Baby as of December 31, 2012 will be grandfathered in to qualify for Brixy, regardless of whether or not they meet the above guidelines.
Brixy will be finalizing its bylaws, committee structure and initial member benefits package by year end in order to begin accepting applications on January 2, 2013.
"We're confident that we'll have a compelling offer for retailers looking to grow their business profitably and join a vibrant community dedicated to supporting each other."
Brixy is encouraging the members of existing buying groups to join and is allowing dual membership to help with the transition. The organization also plans to reach out to unaffiliated retailers that can benefit from the support, discounts and marketing tools that Brixy will provide.
All Baby & Child and the Juvenile Products Manufacturers' Assn. also commented on their support for the new organization.
"Since its inception, All Baby & Child, the parent company of the ABC Kids Expo and spring educational conference and trade show, has provided millions of dollars to support the industry's specialty stores in terms of both educational events and consumer oriented programs," ABC said in a press release. "Beginning January 1, 2013, All Baby & Child will provide funding to one ‘retailers for retailers' organization, Brixy, and will no longer provide funding to individual independent retail associations, including Baby News, Baby Furniture Plus, NINFRA and USA Baby.
Mike Dwyer, executive director for the JPMA, said, "The industry's juvenile products manufacturers who are JPMA members are committed to helping make Brixy a success, and we strongly encourage all manufacturers to fully support this new unified independent retail specialty organization to the fullest extent possible. It is essential that the independent specialty retail market remain strong and, along with ABC, we fully support their efforts."
Anyone interested in receiving additional information about Brixy can sign up to receive updates at Brixy.com or contact Jill at email@example.com.
Hable Partners with Capel for Kids Line